Monday, April 8, 2013

Spreadsheets and Inquiry-Based Learning

I haven't used spreadsheets recently so when searching for ways to use them in education I was excited to see how helpful they are to not only teachers in their lesson plans but also for students in learning the information presented to them.  As a student, science and math were not my favorite subjects, so as a teacher I want to find ways to engage students in those areas.  As a teacher, spreadsheets are very helpful in the task of maintaining a budget and calculating grades.  In viewing examples of how spreadsheets can be used with lesson plans I saw how time lines can be used to help younger students get familiar with typing in boxes.  Older students can use spreadsheets when gathering information for an interview form, this is helpful for organizing question for many people and many questions. 

Using my wedding plan budget I designed three inquiry-based questions that could be used.

1.  When working with a budget, which area of the wedding are you willing to spend the most money in?

2.  If needed, which are cost can you do without?

3.  Would you be willing to go over budget?

No comments:

Post a Comment